How to Request a Correction to your Personal Health Information

If you believe there is an error or omission in your personal health information in the custody or control of a health information custodian, you may request that the health information custodian correct the information.

The request must be made in writing.

No fees may be charged for making such a request.

The health information custodian must, within 30 days of receiving the request for correction either make the correction or advise you that no such correction will be made. If the health information custodian refuses to make the correction, they must tell you why they are refusing to make the correction and provide you with contact information for someone within the organization who can answer any questions you might have.

If the health information custodian refuses to make a correction to your personal health information, you have a number of options available to you. You may

  1. submit a statement to be placed on your file which outlines your reasons for disagreeing with the reasons for the refusal to correct your personal health information;
  2. request that the health information custodian attach a copy of your Request for Correction to the record which is the subject of the correction request;
  3. ask the Information and Privacy Commissioner to review the refusal to make the requested correction.

For information on how to request a review from the Information and Privacy Commissioner,  see “How to Request a Review Under the Health Information Act”