What Can You Do if You Think That There Has Been an Improper Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information Under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act

You may ask the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) to investigate if you believe your personal information has been collected, used or disclosed in contravention of the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

If you have asked that a public body correct your personal information and a public body has failed or refused to do so, you may ask the IPC to review that decision.

A request for a review of a privacy matter does not have to be in writing, but it is strongly recommended that you do put the complaint in writing so that the nature of the complaint is clear. Provide the IPC with as much background information as you can, including the name of the public body involved, the date, or approximate date of the incident, and why you think the public body has improperly collected, used or disclosed your personal information.

While the IPC will accept a complaint by email, she will require that the complaint be perfected by providing a letter or form with your signature.

The IPC may conduct a review if she is of the opinion that a review is warranted, but only after receiving a request for such a review. She is not authorized under the current legislation to conduct a review simply because she becomes aware of a breach or possible breach of privacy through the press or through any other means.

There are no time limits for filing a complaint about a breach of privacy.

For more information on how to file a breach of privacy complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner, please contact our office.